A lot of people are making the move to DIY cleaners because they want something that is natural or more environmentally friendly. The problem is the assumption that as long as the ingredients are all-natural, there are no problems and they can be mixed together. This is not true and all cleaners will have some chemicals which can be hazardous for your health when combined. Regardless of why you are using these cleaners, there are some that you should never mix.
Bleach And Ammonia
Two of the most common household cleaners are bleach and ammonia, but they should never be combined. When these two substances are mixed, they will create toxic gases called chloramines. Chloramines have many effects including shortness of breath, coughing, chest pain, nausea as well as eyes, nose and throat irritation. In some severe cases, they can also cause lung damage, fluid on the lungs and pneumonia.
Bleach And Vinegar
Vinegar is a very popular item in most people’s clean up line, but you do need to be careful. Vinegar is an acid and when you combine this with bleach you will create toxic chlorine gas. Low levels of exposure to chlorine gas will result in irritation to the eyes, nose, and throat, coughing, chest pain, problems breathing and pneumonia. When exposed to high levels of this gas, the results are fatal.
Rubbing Alcohol And Bleach
When you combine rubbing alcohol and bleach, you will create hydrochloric acid and chloroform. Chloroform is the better-known compound and is used on TV by kidnappers and spies to incapacitate their victims. When exposed to your own mixture, you are unlikely to anesthetize yourself, but you will feel irritation in the eyes, on your skin, and in your respiratory system. Your central nervous system may also be damaged along with other organs. Chloroform can be absorbed through the skin which is something many people are unaware of.
Vinegar And Hydrogen Peroxide
Both of these compounds are seen as powerful cleaners that you should have, but they do not go well together. When you combine these two compounds, you will crease peracetic acid. Some medical offices will use this acid as a disinfectant and it is sometimes used on food processing equipment. When used in these instances, regulated amounts and concentrations are used. When you combine the compounds at home, you will cause irritation to the eyes, skin and upper respiratory system. Cases of high-level exposure have resulted in permanent lung damage.
Any attempts to strengthen your household cleaning products should be done with care. A professional cleaning service can use the right mix for your home or office. Adding more bleach to any compound is a bad idea which can result in a dangerous situation. A good rule of thumb is to only mix bleach with water, or call us to get professional help.